Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introductions
[font='Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web (West European)', 'Segoe UI', -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]Dear all,[/font]

[font='Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web (West European)', 'Segoe UI', -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]We thought it would be helpful to introduce ourselves and we encourage you to do the same. [/font]
[font='Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web (West European)', 'Segoe UI', -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]I'm Dr Nicole Graham and I am currently a Lecturer in Ethics and Values at King's College London and the Media Officer of the Humour and Religion Network. My teaching and research examines the relationship of humour and religion; the ethics of laughter and humour; and the place of offence, including blasphemy, in contemporary society. I have written on the ethics of laughter during game-playing (2020) and the acceptability of laughter in the early Christian tradition (2022) and have a number of things in the works on humour and religion - so keep an eye out in 2024! [/font]
[font='Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web (West European)', 'Segoe UI', -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]Best wishes,[/font]

[font='Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web (West European)', 'Segoe UI', -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif]Nicole [/font]
Dear All,

By way of introduction, I am a sociologist of religion (PhD, Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Sorbonne, Paris, France, 2001) and Affiliated Researcher at Woolf Institute, Cambridge, UK. I have just relocated to Washington, DC from where I will continue working on my research activities and interests.

With a multifaceted international research experience, I have worked and published on numerous topics, including: religion and social welfare; faith and fashion; and humour and religion.

I am particularly interested in the role of humour and comedy in combatting religious hatred and in building interfaith bridges across different communities. My latest humour publications include:

“Muslim Comedy: From Social Purpose to the Consumption of Culture”. In: Routledge International Handbook of Global Islam and Consumer Culture, edited by B. Krawietz and F. Gauthier, 2024 (forthcoming), Routledge.

"Religion and Humor: An Unorthodox Relationship?", Public Orthodoxy, Orthodox Christian Studies Center, 12 October 2023, Fordham University, https://publicorthodoxy.org/2023/10/12/r...and-humor/

Muslims and Humour: Essays on Comedy, Joking, and Mirth in Contemporary Islamic Contexts, co-edited with Bernard Schweizer, 2022, Bristol University Press (BUP).

All very best wishes,
Lina M. Liederman